Tuesday, August 10, 2010

Plantain Sabji

I had bought these plantains about, let's see, 3 weeks ago and they were lying in the fridge......you know how it is--- you have this nice variety of things available in your very own refrigerator, but for some reason, you never ever use some of these and then finally they go bad and just have to be thrown away! I know it happens to me sometimes and really, I feel bad. Such a waste, right?

These plantains were already on the verge of going bad and I decided nope, I am not going to throw them away this time. The bright green skin had turned black! Anyway, so I took off the skin and as expected, some of the parts were kind of ripening. I chopped them up nevertheless into little cubes and then debated between the usual curry style versus a quick "sabji," that basically means a stir-fry. The latter option seemed to be the best, both in terms of time as well as effort.

The Fundamentals: Plantain, turmeric powder, red chilli powder, oil, mustard seeds, salt.

The Procedure: I took a pan, put in a couple to 3 teaspoons of oil, tempered some mustard seeds and threw in the chopped plantain. Added half a teaspoon of turmeric powder and salt per taste and started to quickly stir-fry the whole thing. Thanks to the plantains' almost-going-to-rot situation, everything cooked up in under 10 minutes! Towards the end I added a little bit of red chilli powder to give it some kick. That's it! Crazy easy!


The plantain

Almost ripening.......but that's OK!

Chopped up

Crazy-good "sabji" (psst- the red stuff is err, half a tomato that I threw in just because that tomato too was going bad..........!!)

Not just crazy easy, but crazy good too!

No comments: