Thursday, January 24, 2013

Not your ordinary french fries!!

Here's a neat recipe for Sweet Potato fries, that my family loves, and of course, I love! 

Yes, yes, I know, that seems to be a very matter-of-fact start to this post..... so, here, a few words on the very cool Sweet Potato: Literally a super-food, packed with a ton of vitamins, and fiber. Check out some facts on this awesome site! I also read that it has a pretty low glycemic index (GI), like 17 or something, as compared to a regular potato, that has a GI of 29. Yeah, hard to believe, what with the two taboo words for a diabetic- Sweet & Potato! And no, I am not yet a diabetic, but there are a fair number of diabetics in the immediate family...... and therefore just a bit more alert....... 

And here is that recipe: 

You Need:

1. Sweet Potatoes (as many as you want!)
2. Seasoning- such as salt, pepper, herbs, garlic powder (or some crushed garlic)
3. A drizzle of oil

Super-food!
What you do: 

1. Prep the sweet potato(es) by washing, and then chopping, with skin on please, in any way you want. Since we are talking french fries, I just try to julienne--- though, I don't do a very uniform job of it, and so here's what I get:

Look at that color!
2. I spread this on a baking sheet, season it all, and drizzle some oil, and give it a quick mix, so as to get  the seasoning and oil all over.

All seasoned up, and ready to go into the oven
3. I place this in a pre-heated oven set to 375 degrees F, and bake for approximately 15 minutes first. Then I remove it from the oven, mix it all up once more, and pop one in my mouth, to taste. Hey, you gotta do that! And then throw it back in the oven for another 10 minutes.

And you got yourself some beautiful french fries! Eat them plain, or with ketchup, or alongside a nice, juicy burger!

Sweet Potato French Fries! YUM! 
Oh yeah!!! 
The best thing about this is that you can make it any weeknight-- it is so easy to make. And no hassle of frying, and making a big mess either. Oh, and did I say, way healthier than that 99 cent bag of fries from that fast food place near where you live!! There, that should inspire you to try this tonight!











No comments: