Friday, May 8, 2015

Egg in Avocado

You might have seen ads stating, "Lose Belly Fat," and they show an attractive picture of egg in an avocado. It actually looks pretty good. I love avocados, and eggs are quite the staple in our diet. So this morning I figured I might as well try this egg in an avocado for breakfast. Upon searching online I found a super easy recipe, and here it is:

Ingredients:

1. Avocado- 1, nice and firm, not too ripe

2. Eggs- 2 

3. Salt to taste

4. Freshly ground pepper

5. Couple drops of oil

Method: 

*Pre heat the oven to 450 degrees F. 

*The online recipe called for a ramekin, and didn't use any grease at all. But I wasn't too sure, so instead, I lined a baking pan with aluminum foil, and also added a couple drops of oil onto the foil, just in case. 

1. Cut the avocado into two longitudinal halves. Scoop out just a tad bit of the inside to make space for the egg. Place in the baking pan. I put a couple drops of oil before placing the avocado, just because I didn't want it to stick to the foil and get all messy.

2. Crack 1 egg each into each avocado half. Some of the egg white might spill over, but that's OK. You might have to do a little balancing act with the avocado so it can hold the egg. Add salt to taste, and freshly ground pepper. 


Egg in avocado ready to go into the oven

3. Place this in the oven pre heated to 450 degrees F for about 12 minutes. At the end of 12 minutes, the egg white should have firmed up, leaving the yolk almost firm, but not quite, with a little bit of ooziness to it (I like it that way). That's it, it is now ready to be eaten. 


Egg in Avocado ready to be eaten! 


The Eating:

As I dug into the egg with my spoon, the yellow yolk oozed out, and looked very enticing! I went all the way down so as to get some of the avocado goodness as well. When I placed this spoonful of baked avocado and egg into my mouth, I was taken aback at how buttery and creamy it was. The avocado was warm and had got a lovely smoky flavor to it. As for the egg- one can't really go wrong with eggs. The interesting thing I noticed was that the avocado retained its green color. The other more interesting thing I noticed was how filling it was! I felt extremely full after eating a few spoonfuls- I could barely eat that one half avocado!  


Avocado retained its green color!


A couple things: 

1. Personally, I think I prefer cool avocado rather than warm. But maybe it is a matter of acquired taste. Baking does impart a smoky flavor to the avocado, which is nice.

2. I like my food to have a little bit of a crunch factor- so maybe next time around I'll sprinkle some nuts. Bet that'll taste good. Plus one can get creative with the toppings here, so you can jazz it up with chopped green onion or leek, cilantro, etc.

Final Verdict: 

Baked egg in Avocado in an excellent way to start your day. Your body and mind will thank you. And even if you don't lose your belly fat, you'll most certainly decrease your empty calorie intake that you might be doing during the course of the day. Because after eating this, believe me, you will not feel hungry for hours together!! No kidding!






No comments: