Friday, November 24, 2017

Food Post #200- Just Do It

Slightly altered blogpost title from "Daily Food Post (#8)" to Food Post #200. This is my 200th post here! Finally! I started off very enthusiastically way back, and then slowly became irregular, then kinda stopped completely, and then did some intermittent posting- it took a lot of effort on my part, really. And then just last week I decided that I just gotta do this. I remember saying to people when I'd mention this food blog- "Oh, I don't post regularly. I post when inspiration hits me." Okay- that's a whole load of, err, rubbish. I realized that if I continue waiting for that "inspiration" to "hit" me, it'll never happen. And therefore, I told myself- woman, just do it!

Corn Upma 

It is only recently that I got re-introduced to corn upma. I like the simplicity of the dish. It's simple, quick, and delicious, as well as healthy. Wait, then again, that's how most of my cooking is. 

Ingredients: 

Frozen Corn kernel- 2 cups

*This dish will taste way better with fresh corn kernel rather than frozen. If using fresh, it may require using a little bit of water to aid in cooking the corn. It will also take a bit longer to cook

Onion- 1 small, chopped

Green chilis- 2-4 (or 6!), slit and chopped

Coconut- grated, 1/4 cup

Mustard seeds- 1/2 tsp

Asafetida (hing)- a pinch

Oil- 3-4 tsp

Salt to taste

Cilantro to garnish

Lemon juice- a dash


Delicious Corn Upma


Method: 

1. Heat pan with some oil. Add a pinch of asafetida (hing), splutter mustard seeds, add chopped onion, green chilis, and fry for about 5 minutes, or until cooked. 

2. Throw in the corn, add salt to taste, stir fry for another 5 minutes. 

3. Add grated coconut, and cilantro. Mix. Squeeze some lemon juice, and it's ready! 


Yummy! 

It takes under 10 minutes to whip up. It's almost like corn salsa. I like to eat it as it is. It could possibly be eaten with tortilla chips, or in tacos. The fried onions, and the heat from the green chilis, and the coconut make this dish delicious. And it's corny!  



No comments: