Friday, September 16, 2011

French Toast with Maple Syrup- Courtesy: My Daughter

My 7th grader has taken a class called, "Food, Clothing and You" and she has already learned how to make French Toast, Orange Julius (I tease her by adding Caesar to the Julius-- typical mom-joke!) and biscuits. I think that is pretty awesome! Wish my school had such a class to offer back then--- I mean, how fun is it to cook with your school friends and you even get to taste your creations and your teacher grades you on your cooking skills. That's a whole mini-Culinary school right there! Anyway, so she came back home and was looking in the pantry for a snack. And then she came to me and said, "Hey, you wanna try my French Toast?" I said, "Sure, why not?"

Ingredients: 

1. 1 egg

2. 1/2 cup milk (she used regular 2%  reduced fat milk)

3. 1/2 teaspoon of vanilla essence

4. A pinch of cinnamon powder. I was out of cinnamon powder, so I suggested nutmeg powder. She wasn't too sure- but she smelled it and decided, OK, mom does know..... (if-you-know-what-I-mean!).

5. 3 slices of bread

6. Some butter

Method:

1. She took 1/2 a cup of milk in a container and cracked an egg into it. Well, she came up to me and asked me to crack it for her since she doesn't know how to crack an egg yet! Ha ha!

2. Into this she added a pinch of nutmeg powder and 1/2 a teaspoon of vanilla essence and mixed it all up.

Milk+Egg+Nutmeg+Vanilla

"Whisked" together
3. Meanwhile she got the little pan going on the stove, added a dab of butter into the pan so as to melt it.

4. She dipped a slice of bread into her "french toast mixture" and then put it onto the pan with the butter.

Butter
Melting the butter
Coating the bread with the "French Toast mixture"
Onto the pan
5. After about 30-45 seconds of cooking on that one side, she flipped it over so as to cook the other side.

Flipped over to cook the other side
6. And after another 45 seconds of cooking the other side, the french toast was ready to be served. She drizzled some maple syrup all over the toast and gave it to me. See picture below:

French Toast drizzled with Maple Syrup- all ready to be eaten by Mom!
She then proceeded to cook the remaining 2 slices of bread- one for her and one for her brother.

This is the best French Toast I have ever eaten! Perfectly golden and with the right amount of sweetness and that nutmeg worked pretty well too. I know that French Toast is probably the easiest thing anybody can ever make- but when your daughter makes it for you with so much love and enthusiasm on a Friday afternoon, right after school, it definitely seems like the best thing you ever ate!

6 comments:

Yashaswini said...

Yummmm....Interesting!!...I will try this soon...may be tomorrow:)

Aparna Heroor said...

Thanks, err, "Unknown!" ;) Let me know if you like it! :)

adibud34 said...

Some sausage and rashers would be good on the side....

Aparna Heroor said...

For breakfast, sure! ;)

spartan said...

Why am I not surprised - In the genes eh? What is even more cool is that she gets featured in her mom's blog.....

Aparna Heroor said...

@Spartan--- :) Thanks! ;)