Tuesday, April 5, 2011

Spinach Raita

"Raita" is a yogurt-based dip that typically goes well with spicy Indian food. The standard kind is the one with onions and tomatoes and then there is the "boondi" raita, cucumber raita (quite similar to the Greek tzatziki) and the very delicious mint raita. There's the even more delicious beet raita and you can even make apple or pomegranate raita! So yeah, as you probably guessed it- you can make raita with pretty much any vegetable or fruit.

I make spinach raita quite often. Mostly because it literally takes 2 minutes and of course, is delicious. Also note that it is pretty healthy. I mean, think about it- you have that spinach loaded with Vitamins A and C plus calcium as well as iron and a lot of other good stuff. Mixed with that yogurt loaded with tummy-friendly lactobacillus. How much healthier can it get?!

I take:

1. Spinach- I just use the baby organic spinach that is all clean and ready to use. Frozen spinach will work just fine (thawed, of course)

2. Plain yogurt

3. Some oil, dried red chillies, salt, mustard seeds (you may omit this if you are going totally oil-less), Salt to taste.

Method:

1. I take a bowl and throw in chopped spinach. Sprinkle some salt (you don't need much salt- spinach by itself is a bit salty). Run this in the microwave for about a minute. Yep, that's all it takes to shrivel up the spinach. You don't even need water as the spinach will release water as it heats up. You want to retain that green color.

Spinach ready for the yogurt!
2. Next I spoon in the yogurt into this spinach and mix it all up.

Spinach+Yogurt
At this point, it is pretty much ready. But then, if I am having a party, I like to dress it up a bit with some good old "tadka."

3. The Tadka: I take my cute little wok (http://yetanotherfoodie.blogspot.com/2010/05/grab-some-mint.html)
and pour in a teaspoon of oil and get it going on the stove. I then put in some mustard seeds. Once the mustard seeds begin to splutter, I quickly add one or two dried red chillies (broken up) and I pour this onto the beautiful spinach raita.

The Tadka
Dressing up the Spinach Raita
4. Before serving, I give it a quick stir. Delicious!

Delicious, Healthy and Cool on your Tummy!
The next time you make some spicy Indian food, do make this raita. Even if you don't make some spicy Indian food, do make this raita and eat it!

No comments: