Wednesday, October 19, 2011

It is official...........

.......... that I dislike Brussels Sprouts!! Yes, the very ME who always goes around lecturing people on how important veggies are and how one has got to try different vegetables, how they are so healthy for your body, blah blah-di-blah........ I never thought that I, of all people, would ever dislike any vegetable- EVER! But sadly, this fact dawned upon me last evening when I made those darned mini-cabbages (yeah, they look like miniature cabbages) as a side dish, with much enthusiasm, I must add. No, it wasn't the odor. It was just that the taste was simply indescribably pathetic- ugh!


Ugh!

I chose to just cook them on the stove and so this is what I did:

1. I prepped them up by cutting them into halves and then giving them a quick wash.

2. I poured in 3 teaspoons of oil in my pot and go the heat going.

3. I added a teaspoon of cumin seeds and when they spluttered, I threw in those Brussels Sprouts.

4. Added salt, some red cayenne pepper powder and sauteed it all for a minute or so and then covered the pot with the lid.

5. After 5-7 minutes, I switched off the stove. The lovely green color was retained and I was all happy!

Looks beautiful, sure!
Before serving, I added a dash of lemon juice. Sounds lovely, doesn't it? And it looked really good too.

My son took one bite and scrunched up his face and said, "I can't eat this, Mom!" Meanwhile, my daughter was quietly eating, though her face was all scrunched up too and she looked very uncomfortable. Now under normal circumstances, I would force my kids to finish whatever it was, even if they didn't like it. This time, to their surprise, I said, "OK," and took away their plates and dumped the horrible vegetable into the trash can. I ate some and put on a very brave face (while in reality I was all scrunched up inside!) and gave them a little "Mom Lecture" about how they need to stop being so fussy. Well, now call me a hypocrite, but I couldn't come to admit to them that yeah,  mom too hated it! Hey, I bet you have heard of this thing called, "Mom ego!" For a change, their Dad ate it up and even said he liked it. That was probably the why-make-my-wife-unhappy situation going on!

So there, after last evening's fiasco, I know I am not going to buy any more of this vegetable. Yep, I, very reluctantly, announce that I hate Brussels Sprouts!!

No comments: