Friday, July 4, 2014

French Toast- Indian twist

Who doesn't know how to make french toast, right? You take some bread, dunk it in eggs whisked with vanilla essence, fry till golden brown, and then drizzle maple syrup or honey, and eat away. That's the sweet version. I like the savory version too- where I add salt and pepper to the eggs, and the rest of the process is the same. Except, instead of syrup or honey, I use ketchup. And to kick it up a notch, usually on the weekend, I add a couple extra ingredients and I call it my Desi French Toast- i.e. french toast with an Indian twist.

Ingredients: 

1. Bread- stale white bread would be perfect, but you can use any kind, I'd say

2. Eggs

3. Finely chopped onion- I like to use 1/4 of an onion for 2 eggs

4. Finely chopped green chilies (per your heat tolerance!) 

5. Salt per taste

6. Freshly ground pepper 

7. Cumin seeds- 1/2 tsp

8. Fresh coriander leaves, or parsley 

9. Cooking oil- a few teaspoons

Method: 

1. I like to cut the bread (2-3 slices per person) into triangles.



2. Whisk up some eggs (2 eggs per person), add ingredients 3-8 into this, and give it all another whisk to get everything rolling.



3. Get your pan going, with a few teaspoons of cooking oil. Dunk each slice of bread into the egg mixture, and fry both sides until golden brown.



It is almost like bread and omelette in one shot! Pretty neat, I think, and it is super delicious all by itself. I like tomato ketchup on the side.



No comments: