Thursday, November 6, 2014

Tomato "bhath" Rice

When we visited my s-i-l and bro this summer (you probably know that by now!), I got to have the BEST tomato "bhath" I have ever had, thanks to my s-i-l. It was red, tangy, spicy, and just had this amazing punch to it- one spoonful into my mouth, and my taste buds went wild! It was SO delicious!

I have completely fallen head over heels in love with this dish. I could eat it everyday, no kidding! The best thing about this dish is that it is extremely easy and quick to make.

Note: Bhath stands for Rice.

Ingredients:

For 2 cups cooked rice:

1. Tomatoes- 3-4 medium size. The better the quality of tomatoes, the better your dish is going to taste.

2. Garlic- 7-8. I say- the more, the better! ;)

3. Cloves- 4-5 whole. This is a key ingredient, that imparts the whole punch factor to the dish.



4. Cooked rice- 2 cups (leftover rice works just fine). I have used only white rice so far. Not sure how it would taste if you use brown rice, but you can certainly give it a try.

5. Salt per taste

6. For heat- either green or red chilies, OR red chili powder. The quantity is per your liking.

7. Mustard seeds- 1/2 tsp (can also add 1/2 tsp of cumin seeds, a pinch of turmeric powder)

8. Cooking oil- 1-1.5 tbs

Method:

1. Cook rice as you would normally (shouldn't be mushy/sticky).

2. Blend the tomatoes, green/red chilies, garlic, and cloves into a nice smooth consistency.

3. Pour in some oil into your pan, and get the heat going. Splutter mustard seeds (and cumin seeds), and pour in the blended tomato+garlic+chilies+cloves paste into this, and immediately start stirring.

Caution: Contents might start fuming up, and splatter.... be careful not to get it on your face!



4. Continue stirring on medium to high flame. I like to draw 8s while stirring- I think it aids in faster evaporation of water.... and, err, cuts down the boredom! About 6-10 minutes later, the water will have evaporated, and the mixture will be of a thicker consistency.




5. Now add salt per taste, extra red chili powder if you like, a pinch of turmeric powder. Sometimes I also add a pinch of garam masala powder. Then add cooked rice (should not be too hot, else it will get all mushed up when mixing) and combine everything together. Another couple minutes over the flame, and it is ready to be served.

Tomato bhath ready! 

6. I like to serve tomato bhath with a simple onion raita (I prefer red onion). If it is for a party, I garnish with fried cashew nuts or peanuts, and fresh cilantro. The nuts add a good crunch to the already mouthwatering dish.

Mm mm gooooood! *Slurrrrp* 

Gotta thank my s-i-l for teaching me this dish that has become the love of my life! Hey, a sentiment is a sentiment, is a sentiment!!





No comments: