Wednesday, September 19, 2018

Is Shah Rukh Khan a Foodie?

The other day, someone who follows my blog (yeah, there is one sweet gal who actually follows this blog!) asked me- why haven't you posted anything of late on your blog? And I told her- well, it just so happens that although I've been cooking, it's all the same stuff ... and well, let's be frank- I'm kinda losing my mojo here!!

To change things up a little bit, I made an account on Quora and started answering questions about food there. It's actually working out quite alright, and it's very entertaining. In fact, it is hilarious to see some of the most ridiculous questions up there. It's amazing what this human mind can come up with. Ridiculous questions, and equally ridiculous answers. Truly a m a z i n g! So far I have written 20 answers, and the last three have received quite a lot of views (for my standards). I did actually have to do quite a bit of online research to answer those questions. I mean, this whole Quora stuff is serious business! No, really! You gotta spend a lot of time researching, and making sure what you put up there actually makes sense, AND you gotta make sure you include all the citations. I'm telling ya- for serious writers, it is actually a good platform, at least to get your name out there. I believe one can even get paid for asking questions! I'm not sure how that works, but yeah, you can make some money enough to buy you a burger for sure. Good deal, if you ask me!

Question: What are Shah Rukh Khan's favorite foods and dishes? Would you consider him to be a foodie?  

Original Post on Quora: SRK's Favorite Foods

My Answer: 

What could Shah Rukh Khan’s favorite foods and dishes possibly be? Hmm! Interesting question, and since I claim to be a foodie, and I like watching Indian movies, and, err, I quite like SRK, I thought I might as well attempt answering this.



Ref: https://goo.gl/images/pTy3xb


Well, I don’t know SRK personally. Neither do I follow every bit of news about him. But simply based off of films I have seen starring SRK, and a few odd interviews here and there, I have an inkling that he probably likes simple home cooked meals, especially something cooked by his mom. Now for the sake of answering this question, I obviously had to resort to good old Google. And funnily enough, I found an online article on the Indian Express that exclusively discusses SRK’s favorite food! And btw, my assumption was spot on! The article clearly states: “but when it comes to food, Shah Rukh Khan likes it simple. And, (if) it’s home-cooked – even better.” I told you so! ;)
He has fond food memories of meals cooked by his dad and mom. His dad cooked “wonderful raan.” Raan is a Pathani mutton dish that incorporates the toughest cut of lamb, which is cooked into a delicious falling-off-the-bone tender dish in a mélange of spices, tomatoes, onions, bell peppers, malt vinegar, etc. He loved his mom’s Hyderabadi mutton biryani and “khatti dal.” It’s a Hyderabadi lentil preparation that is spicy, tangy, and delicious. Apparently he loves chicken, especially tandoori chicken. And he claims he can eat it all year round, every single day! Here’s what delights me- he loves spicy food! Now we’re talking!
When it comes to vegetarian food, SRK’s favorite is “aloo gobi,” i.e. potatoes and cauliflower stir fry, which also happens to be my childhood favorite. My kids love aloo gobi too. In fact, I make this awesome stir fry quite regularly.
SRK likes pasta, and can apparently cook it too. His favorite happens to be one “Tagliatelle Con Aragosta.” This pasta preparation made with tagliatelle- a long cylindrical shaped pasta, incorporates lobster, asparagus, onions, and tomato puree. Looks pretty good to me. The link to a YouTube video where this Chef (too bad his name isn’t mentioned) at Mezzo Mezzo at the JW Mariott Mumbai, in Juhu, demonstrates how to make this pasta dish: SRK's favorite pasta dish
While we are talking about SRK’s favorite foods, I’d like to quickly mention that he is a coffee addict. He can drink up to 30 cups of black coffee a day!! Yikes!
As for whether or not I consider SRK as a fellow foodie- I’m not too sure I’d consider him to be a die-hard foodie, considering the fact that he prefers eating at home, and North Indian dishes in particular. A true foodie, in my humble opinion, is one who is open to all kinds of cuisines, and loves checking out different foods regularly. AND one who doesn’t care about whether or not people are watching them eat! Our man, SRK, has said himself that he is a shy guy, and would much rather eat in privacy. See this video (Start to ~ 0:54): Shy SRK
All in all, from whatever I found online, the gist is that “King” Khan is quite the homey kind of guy who loves his black coffee and enjoys a nice home-cooked meal. If it’s Pathani or a Hyderabadi style meal, he’d enjoy it even more, probably reminiscing fond memories of his childhood, and his beloved parents.

Ref: https://goo.gl/images/q5rP6u


There are a couple fun videos I've included in the original answer. Do check it out: SRK's Favorite Foods

BTW, I call myself Appi on Quora. In case you are up there, do follow me! ;) 

No comments: